When you’re healing the gut, it is best NOT to snack.
Our digestive system needs time in between meals to complete processing and metabolizing what we just ate. Your body has a process of sweeping away the food contents to ensure that bacteria doesn’t overgrow in the small intestine. If you are prone to a slower digestive tract and are eating frequently, you may be setting yourself up for bacterial overgrowth, which can cause a lot of symptoms. It is best to avoid eating for at least 90 minutes after your last meal and ideally wait 3-4 hours until your next meal. However, if you must snack here and there, enjoy a few of these healthy snack options that you can find at many health food stores or you can make some of these at home.
- Veggies & Sides
- Bell peppers or carrots with hummus
- Guacamole with bell peppers or sugar snap peas
- Make a mediterranean platter
- Arrange a plate with olives, artichokes, cucumbers, tomatoes, hummus, and organic, nitrate-free deli meats
- Fruity Snacks
- Chia Seed Pudding
- Banana Nice Cream
- Nutty Snacks
- Healthy Trail Mixes
- Go easy on pre-made ones with chocolate chips and/or heavy on cranberries/raisins as they contain high sugar content
- Paleo Granola:
- Healthy Trail Mixes
- Protein Packed
- No-Bake Energy Bites:
- Homemade Energy Bars
- Deviled Eggs
- Smoked Salmon on Cucumbers and Almond Ricotta Cheese
- Organic, Nitrate-Free Jerky:
- Organic Smoked Turkey Breast or Proscuitto Wrapped with any of the following: Avocado, Tomato, Asparagus, Bell Pepper, or Apple and add a dip like Trader Joe’s Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto, Baba Ghanoush, Salsa or Guacamole.
- Healthier Chips
- Kale Chips
- Nori Chips
- Okra Chips
- Sweet Potato Chips (go light on these)
- Plantain Chips (go light on these)
When eating a diet high in plant-based foods and quality proteins and fats, you will feel full longer and might not even want to snack. You’ll also notice you have fewer cravings for sugary or salty snacks. But, if you do find yourself needing a quick energy boost, give the above snacks a try.
For more healthy tips, follow me on facebook. I share there almost daily!