Toxic Chemicals Found in Your Skincare Products
What goes on your body is just as important as what goes in your body.
With all of the delightful-smelling personal care products out there, it’s easy to choose your preferred product by your favorite scent. However, many of these common products, including shampoos, body soaps, lotions, shaving creams, makeup, and perfumes are full of synthetic chemicals that have a high potential for endocrine, immune, and nervous system disruption.
When it comes to the endocrine system, these synthetic chemicals can mimic or block a natural hormone reaching a cell. Most often, these products affect estrogen hormones and estrogen plays various functions in the body.
Judge a product by its label of ingredients and avoid the following ingredients:
- Phthalates, parabens, triclosan, PEG, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, oxynol, Methylisothiazolinone, toluene, sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, BHA, BHT, synthetic colors, fragrances, and others that are difficult to pronounce.
These ingredients have been observed to contribute to:
- Various cancers (breast cancer, brain cancer, testicular cancer)
- Abnormal growth patterns
- Nervous system disruption
- Respiratory Illnesses
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Neuropsychiatric Disorders
- Learning Disabilities & Memory Impairment
- Behavioral Disorders
Before you choose the ocean breeze hairspray or sugar cookie hand lotion, consider these potential risks and opt for more natural care products. Fortunately, most natural health food stores carry safe products for you and your home. If you’d like, you can also make your own personal care and cleaning products with a few simple ingredients.